Ettie Rutherford is an educator and transformational speaker who has consistently highlighted the need for women of all ages to use their strengths to set priorities and attain their goals. Through her writing, speaking and workshop presentations she provides women with the strategies and skills that will enable them to reach their highest potential.

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Women Continue to Soar

I'm back.
Enjoy this excerpt from the introduction to my book:
"Women Are Worthy: Why Perch Like a Chick When You Can Soar Like an Eagle?"
***********************************************************


It all started in San Diego.


With tight knuckles and a firm grip on the microphone I yelled,


“If only my ex-husband could see me now”.


Amid the laughter in the room one voice shouted, “Why don’t you phone and tell him what you are doing?”
I paused. I could feel the stares as everyone waited for my response.


As garbled images of the past flashed through my brain, I slowly  said,
“I cannot phone him. He died six years ago in his apartment.  Alone”.


Everyone attending the conference was evidently affected because a pregnant hush fell over the room.


I do not remember what else I said before handing the microphone to the next person who was waiting to speak.


Very slowly I glanced over my shoulder to the left, to the right.
I sat down.


As if waiting for something to happen, just anything to break the silence, I shuffled the papers in front of me, and then stared straight ahead.


These people must think I am crazy.


Like a lost bird slowly emerging from a copse of tangled vines I fought to gain my composure. I found myself engulfed with a myriad of emotions.


As the session wore on I continued thinking of my ex-husband . I felt regret, anger and sadness.


Strangely, there was no desire for vindication.


The rest of the day was electrifying. Little did I realize that with my outburst in that crowded room I had taken the first step towards reclaiming my life and redeeming my integrity.


Keep tuned for excerpts from forthcoming chapters .......
Soaring Point:
"The most important tool in your entire arsenal is integrity"

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your book Gma Ettie.. cannot wait to read it!!! Love youu<3
    -Angelica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hope you will be coming to the Launch on October 28th.

      Delete